Sunday, February 24, 2008

Self-Fulfilling Prophesies

Last summer, because I had absolutely nothing better to do, I took a trip to downtown Salt Lake City to see Temple Square and all the things there are to see. I had never been on the roof the Conference Center before so I decided to ask one of the senior missionaries there if they would take me up there. I got a personal tour from a nice gentleman.

The roof is actually quite amazing, as is the entire conference center. There are trees, gardens, and streams. There is a fountain which sits directly above the podium. This fountain branches off into 12 streams and that, of course, represents the gospel being brought to the 12 tribes of Israel.

The Conference Center has a single spire. My tour guide informed me that Brigham Young saw this building in a vision and described it as having only one spire. Amazing! Brigham Young must have really been a true prophet!

But this amazing prophesy doesn't have me fooled. How hard is it for Gordon B. Hinckley to read the vision that Brigham Young described and then set out to build a building that matches it? It's like me saying I'm going to slap you... and then I slap you. It is a self-fulfilling prophesy. It proves nothing.

Now why didn't Brigham Young prove he was a true prophet by describing a computer and predicting that in the 1990's the internet would come into place and change the world? That would be a truly amazing prophesy.

Unfortunately for the church, Mormonism is full of self-fulfilling prophesies. There are no real prophesies. In fact, Joseph Smith gave many prophesies which never came to pass. One such example is when he predicted the return of Jesus Christ. D&C 130:14-15

14 I was once praying very earnestly to know the time of the coming of the Son of Man, when I heard a voice repeat the following:

15 Joseph, my son, if thou livest until thou art eighty-five years old, thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man; therefore let this suffice, and trouble me no more on this matter.

Joseph Smith would have been 85 years old late in the year 1890. Jesus didn't come by then. It's a prophesy that is 100 years late and still hasn't happened. Joseph Smith died in 1844. The above verse suggests that the all-knowing god didn't know how long Joseph would live. All you have to do is read the scriptures and it quickly becomes obvious that it's all a fraud. There is not one difinitive prophesy that gives Joseph Smith any credibility! Sad. Actually, Glad. I don't have to live my life following a horny con-artist.

Just another evil apostate...

No comments: