Monday, May 24, 2010

I'll Ask Again... Are Mormons Happy?

In the past, I have explored the question, are Mormons happy?

Mormons have, in response, challenged me right back... are apostates happy?

Let's just stick to the facts. In my experience, Mormons (even the active ones) don't really want to be at church. If you attend an LDS sacrament meeting, just look around. People are sleeping, trying to keep their kids quiet, reading their scriptures, etc. As soon as "amen" is said at the closing prayer, the isles are instantly filled with people who can't get out of there fast enough.

I'm not making this up. This literally is how it is.

However, I am aware that this, by itself, does not prove that Mormons are unhappy.

But it does suggest that sacrament meeting is extremely dull and boring. And it is! I should know. I've sat through hundreds of them.

I have no doubt that Mormons are happy. I remember well going to church and feeling very accepted by those around me. I really did like the people.

It just leaves me wondering...

How many of them claim to be happy because they've always been taught that Mormonism is the ONLY path to happiness?

How many of them genuinely are happy?

I don't think there is really a way to know. However, I would be willing to bet that many of them who claim to be happy, really are not. I wasn't.

I've had Mormons challenge me that apostates are the ones who are not happy. Of course, they base our happiness on their standards. For example:

I am not happy because I oppose the lords kingdom.

I am not happy because I sin.

I am not happy because I speak evil of the lords annointed.

They never once look at me and see that I am happy because I finally learned to be honest with myself. I asked the question, answered it honestly, and followed my heart.

If you live a lie, how can you be happy?

No comments: