And the members who are excommunicated are removed from the church for the church's protection. Anyone openly against it is removed so that the church can say that the person is not affiliated with them. Anyone who dares openly question is immediately removed and painted up to be evil and angry.
- 1. A leader who claims divinity or special relationship with God.
- 2. A leader who is the sole judge of a member's actions or faith.
- 3. A totalitarian governance.
- 4. Totalistic control over the member's daily lives.
- 5. Exclusivity and isolation.
- 6. Development of deep emotional dependence.
- 7. Prohibition of critical analysis and independent thinking.
- 8. Utilization of methods of ego destruction and mind control.
- 9. Exploitation of a member's finances.
- 10. Underemployment and exploitative working conditions.
1. The LDS church leaders claim to receive direct revelation from god.
2. Members are often determined to be "worthy" by their bishops.
3. When the prophet speaks, the sheep blindly obey.
4. While not completely totalitarian, the LDS church is heavily involved in people's personal lives.
5. Members are taught that life outside of the church is miserable and only by being Mormon can one be truly happy. Members are encouraged not to mingle with non-members as much as possible unless they are trying to convert them.
6. Members often state how lost they would be without the church.
7. Repeat after me: "I know it's true with every fiber of my being. I know it! I know it! I know it!". Use feelings to determine truth, not thinking.
8. You are unworthy unless you follow all the commandments all the time.
9. Members are threatened with losing their temple recommend (a huge disgrace) and with buring in a fire if they don't pay their full 10%.
10. This one doesn't apply quite so much, but church members are expected to do all sorts of volunteer work for the church. Temple endowed Mormons have given an oath to the church to give everything they have, or will have, to the church if necessary.
I resolve that the LDS church is indeed a mind-altering cult. It's members believe they have the constant companionship of the holy spirit IF they are 100% worthy. The male members believe they carry the priesthood, the ultimate power and authority to act in god's name. They literally believe it is the only truth on earth and everyone else is fumbling around in darkness and confusion. If that's not isolation and mind-alteration, then I don't know what is.
For additional reading on how a cult indoctrinates it's members, especially children, please follow this link: http://griess.st1.at/anne/children%20in%20cults.htm
More to come on my response to The Mormon-Hater Show...