Sunday, January 24, 2010

Enjoy Life

Tonight I was in bed and was thinking about a lot of things. I was hungry too, so while the oven is warming up to cook me a midnight pizza, I will write out some of my thoughts.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. From an atheist perspective, this life is the only one we have. There is no god in heaven who is watching us under his microscope. There is not a huge list of commandments that god demands that we obey.

I honestly and sincerely hope there is an afterlife. I would love to once again see loved ones who are gone. But I'm not putting any money on it. I do not believe there is an afterlife.

I underwent a fairly simple surgery. As I laid on the operating table and the sedative drugs began to take effect, I slipped off into a peaceful nothingness. While I was unconscious, the doctor was able to open my body and do the procedure. I felt nothing. I remember nothing. In fact, the two-hour surgery went by in a split second.

When the drugs knocked me out, everything went dark and then I was opening my eyes and it was over. Two hours went by in the blink of an eye. That is what being dead is like. You just shut your eyes and you become nothing. You are completely unaware of your surrounding and even your own existance.

You feel no pain, sorrow, love, hate, etc. Nothing.

I am very grateful for my surgery because it showed me what death will be like. It's nothing to fear. You just close your eyes and cease to exist.

So, while I sincerely hope that there is an afterlife, I seriously doubt that there is. This life is it. This life is my only chance to live. To laugh. To love. If I waste it following some imaginary god and his imaginary rules, then what a sad life that is.

Now is the time to cherish loved ones. Now is the time to enjoy life. Now is the time to live.

The atheistic view of life might seem sad and depressing to believers. If there is no afterlife, then what is the purpose of life? I don't know. If we just die and cease to exist, then why are we even here? I don't know. While, yes, it is sad to think that this life could be it, it only makes the time we have here that much more precious. It makes our time here and now with loved ones that much more meaningful.

Why look to an uncertain future when we are here and in the now? Don't waste the now dreaming about some fairy tale future. Enjoy the now because it most likely is all you have.

So, go sky diving. Have a one night stand. Get so wasted that you can't remember the night before (maybe just do that once, LOL). Go back to school. Help others. Do whatever you need to do to make your life good.

Life is not meant to be endured. It is meant to be enjoyed.

No comments: