Monday, September 10, 2007

Mormons Are Good People

Yesterday I happen to run into a member of my local ward. He is a very nice and quiet older man. Now, as an apostate, and even back in my TBM days, I always liked this guy just because of how cheerful and friendly he always is.

Obviously this gentleman I ran into knows that I no longer go to church. It was a Sunday and he was dressed in suit and tie. Probably doing home-teaching or something. We talked for at least 10 minutes and he never once made a disrespectful remark. This is a truly good man. I feel the same about his wife. Together, they are about the sweetest couple you could ever find.

There are some mighty fine people who are Mormon. Many people truly love being LDS and I would never want to take that away from them. I know the truth for myself and I know that, for me, being Mormon was depressing and repressing.

Different people just believe different things. Although I always felt that life as a Mormon was hard and unfair, I still believed it with all my heart. Many of the Mormons in my life have accepted my non-belief, just as I accept their choice to continue believing.

Life shouldn't be about trying to convince other people to believe what we believe*. Life should be about accepting and celebrating all kinds of diversity, religious, racial, etc. Life should be about being the best person you can be, taking advantage of the time we have to make the world a better place for ourselves, our children, and the millions of people who will live on this earth long after we are all dead.

* One might accuse me of trying to do exactly that. I simply post my thoughts online and let anyone read them who wants to. If an active Mormon reads this and chooses to keep believing, that's up to him. I simply present my thoughts and evidences and let my readers choose what they will do with it.

Just another evil apostate...

No comments: