Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Discussion About JW's and Why Religion Is Stupid

Yet another religious discussion with my TBM wife was the inspiration for this post.

It began when I got online and watched a documentary on the history of the Jehovah's Witnesses. My wife walked in just as they were talking about how the JW's are forbidden from participating in holidays, birthdays, voting, politics, etc.

My wife made a comment to the effect of, "What do birthdays have to do with religion?"

Being the analytical minded person that I am, that set my brain into a series of thoughts:

To the JW's, attending a birthday party is as offensive an idea as temple garments being put on public display is to a Mormon.

I asked her, "What does underwear have to do with religion?"

"That's different... they're holy."

I don't remember the whole conversation but it basically went something like this:

It's amazing to me to see how easily someone can recognize the very obvious problems with a religion that is not theirs. It's easy for a Mormon to see how the JW belief of birthdays is just stupid. So why is it so difficult for other people to see the very obvious flaws in their own religion?

You see, it was very obvious to my wife that there is nothing wrong with a birthday party. But when I point out that, like birthdays, underwear has nothing to do with religion, she immediately puts up the defenses and rationalizing.

Yet it is true. Underwear and birthdays both have nothing to do with religion. A Mormon can see that about JWism and a JW can see that about Mormonism. Why can't they see it about their own?

People all over the world believe in some really strange and bizarre shit! Why? Jesus is no different than Superman: both are great stories. But ONLY stories. Hell, they both even wear red capes!

When you think about the need for a saviour it really starts sounding retarded. How did dying on a cross (or a stake as the JW's believe) save all of humanity? It's stupid. If god is all powerful, why did he have to resort to human sacrifice in order to make his plan come together? If god didn't want Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit, why did he put it right in front of them? How can a stupid apple upset the great and perfect plan of the creator? How can eating a piece of fruit suddenly make you know right from wrong?

Yes, god is pathetic. The whole story is way too far fetched to be the literal truth.

But people believe it. I can't figure out why for the life of me.

1 comment:

dedloki said...

hmm you have a great point that the bible is far fetched. I just out of boredoom asked for the bok of mormon I was just curious about what is about. Well of course they came down on me like flys on sh*t. I said I would be interrested but in truth no way. I like the idea if God and having something to believe in. But to be controled and led by the nose of a man who claimed to be a prohet of god noway. Woman are not thought fo greatly in religion anyway. And I as a women was raised as a JW. And hated it! Having to wear a dress everyday and do whatever a man says is not fun to me no matter how they dress it up and the religion scarred me badly!!! My dreams of Jesus I would have at night were of a man that was the Jim Morrison of his time. He had a male lovers and a wife and a child. Had those dreams every sense I was little but when I would tell the religous folks they would freak out and say I was evil. But had could I be I had prayed to good to send me a dream as to who Jesus really was. He was also like the Kriss Angel of his time he freaked people out and he finally got killed for it. YOu know I have a meeting with some nice mormons tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it cause I am going to be honest with them that I still think thier full of crap. Some of its cool. And where the hell in the bible does it say women have to be in dresses. I hate dresses. I vowed everysince I was forced to wear them that I would never wear one again unless I and I stess I wantted to not because you had to. F Dress code. Any way Iam sorry I have babbled on crap they may not gp what was said..but I feel I should go create my own religion I mean any one can from what mormons say but when done they say that religion is wrong. So what the hell?