Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sacrifice Brings Blessings

The more you give to the lord of the LDS church, the more blessings you are supposed to get in return. But along with the promise of receiving much for your sacrifices, you are also subject to have blessings with-held if you do not sacrifice. Paying tithing is the central way LDS people sacrifice to the lord.

The LDS Jesus loves you. In fact, he loves you so much that you can't even comprehend how much. His love is unconditional and is offered to everyone.

I have refused to pay tithing for several years now and I've noticed one thing: my life is no better or worse than it was before.

I'm not really any richer or poorer. I'm not sicker or more healthy. I'm not uglier or prettier. My life is pretty much the same as it was before. There were no special blessings then and there are no special blessings now.

My wife recently had a TR interview where she was asked, of course, if she pays her tithing. Her answer was no but only because her husband (me) won't let her. The bishop granted the TR but not before stating that because of my stubbornness, I am causing our entire family to be denied blessings.

I really find it funny! I even laughed when I heard that. Jesus loves me and my family, right? But because I won't pay tithing, my entire family has to pay the price. That money hungry Jesus is withholding from all of us!

Sounds real loving to me: I'm Jesus and because one of you won't pay me, all of you are going to suffer! But I love you. I just wish you'd willingly give me your money.

Jesus is going to punish my kids for my stubbornness! What an asshole. At least he would be if he was real!

What about the 2nd Article of Faith which states: "We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression."

Really, Jesus. If you're so shallow that my meager 10% is going to cause you to cast me and my family into the eternal fire, then you're even more pathetic than I thought! You're willing to damn children on my account over a lousy 10%. That's pathetic. That's disgraceful. In fact, it's outright disgusting!

The concept of Jesus' unconditional love as long as he gets my money just sickens me. And that's why I don't believe.

No comments: