Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas and Consumerism

It's Christmas time yet again. What does Christmas mean to atheists? Free presents!

No, but seriously, it means that we are celebrating the birth of our societys favorite myth.

I say "Merry Christmas" to strangers. I give them a smile. I donate to the Salvation Army bell ringers whenever I can. I get presents for loved ones.

Just because Jesus is a myth doesn't mean that he didn't have good teachings to live by. Christmas time should be all the time. Need knows no season.

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Christmas has been turned into the busiest shopping time of the year and retail businesses are never more profitable than at Christmas time.

Mike Lee, the Religious Antagonist, has just produced a new video entitled Consumerism: The New Religion.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! You mentioned that you were married in the Mormon Temple. Did your wife leave the Mormon 'faith' too?

Mormon411 said...

No, she is still strong in the faith and we are in the middle of a divorce.

Poore Family History said...

Merry Christmas! We have a few fun Mormon related cartoons that you might like here.

Unknown said...

However necessary it might be, its always sad to hear about the end of a relationship. I hope things are going well for you.

I agree with your post, its unfortunate that we are so consumer focused at Christmas time. I really don't know if I would like to change that though. It feels good to give gifts (both to charity and family) and it feels good to receive them. Not to mention the food and family time.

Mormon411 said...

Thank you. Unfortunately, it was necessary to end it. We are both much happier this way.

There is nothing wrong with presents and giving and receiving. It has just become so commercialized. Personally, I much prefer a simple gift that someone put some thought into. It's easy to just go buy something for someone. A gift that took a little thought and effort means a million times more to me.

Faery Chaos said...

I have to agree with you, there should be *real* thought in what we give our family and friends (no matter what holiday/birthday/etc) it's for. It seems like it's just the biggest/best/most whatever is popular that is given now days :(

I *try* that now, but with kids it can be hard. My 10 yr old son seriously scored this year (between us and our families)! Thankfully he's not a brat about it. I was able to make a crocheted scarf for my niece (which she loved, yay!) who's older. I am *hoping* that as kids grow up a bit more, we teach them to appreciate things that we put work into (and not just the money it costs or the newest fad) and that the holidays ARE for family and traditions and not just how many or what presents they will get.

सुजाता said...

found ur blog today just like i had found about Wife no.19 three years ago while searching for some material for Chokherbali (sandoftheeye.blogspot.com) a cmmunity blog on women issues. I happy about my finding today.will surely read every post f yours and write something on Chokherbali .

thanks

sujata